Compared to the ones I have used in the past - Internet Download Manager, Orbit Downloader, Download Accelerator Plus, GetGo Download Manager – Free Download Manager is the best download manger that I have used so far.
This download utility is a full-featured freeware product with an attractive interface. The operation is very simple and straightforward, just click on a link in your browser or drag it into the program’s tiny, semitransparent window if you want to download a file.
What I like best about Free Download Manager is its intrusion free operation which does not invade your computer system. It doesn’t give you the craps that most download utility software provide whether paid or free ones. You have full control of your PC as it doesn’t do unnecessary processes - it just downloads files and fast!
|Free Download Manger user interface|
According to the software’s website: “FDM accelerates downloads by splitting files into sections and then downloading them simultaneously. As a result download speed increases up to 600%, or even more! FDM can also resume broken downloads so you needn`t start downloading from the beginning after casual interruption.” It really does a great job in downloading files fast.
You can also download videos from YouTube, Google Video, etc. that can then be saved in FLV format or convert to other popular video formats.
Here are some of Free Download Manger’s features:
- Download files using BitTorrent protocol.
- Create new downloads or view the list of active and completed downloads remotely, via the internet.
- Preview audio/video files before download is completed and convert file format after download.
- Splits files into several sections and downloads them simultaneously, allowing you to use any type of connection at the maximum available speed.
- When the downloading process is interrupted, you needn't start from the beginning again. Free Download Manager can resume broken download from where it was interrupted saving your time, nerves and money.
- Easily organize downloaded files by their type, placing them in predefined folders. A smart scheduler allows you to start and pause downloading files, as well as perform other actions (launch other applications, establish or hang up connection, etc.) at the set time.
- There are several traffic usage modes. You can adjust traffic usage for browsing the Internet and downloading files at the same time.
- Download video from video sites, such as Youtube, Google Video, etc. The video can then be saved in native .flv format or converted to one of more popular video formats.
- You can download whole web pages or even whole web sites with HTML Spider. The tool can be adjusted to download files with specified extensions only.
- Able to download files from several mirrors simultaneously.
- Lets you download only the necessary part of a zip file.
- Free, open-source software distributed under GPL license.
- Translated into 30 languages. Supported languages are: Macedonian, Serbian, Albanian, Croatian, Korean, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese Traditional, Chinese, Czech, German, Dutch, French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese-Brazil, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Uzbek, Greek, Vietnamese, Slovenian, Persian.